Getting ready for the New Year can be challenging and stressful… We typically set goals with things in mind we’d like to accomplish and most of us make New Year’s resolutions- some that are easily obtained and others that may be very hard to accomplish. We suggest keeping things as simple as possible to avoid overwhelming yourself. For our seniors, we recommend some healthy goals and resolutions.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables, add some whole grains and low fat dairy options.
- Don’t skip your doctor appointments- Seeing your provider on a regular basis allows you to stay on top of your health.
- Try a multivitamin- Over the counter multivitamins are a great way to help supplement some of the nutrients your body may be missing.
- Be active (or as active as you are able to be).
- Avoid falls- Falls are a leading cause of injury and death in seniors. Talk to your provider about any medications you are taking that may cause you dizziness or make you more likely to fall. Insert grab bars and a shower chair in your tub or shower along with night lights through your home. If you think your home needs a safety check, give us a call! We will come to your home and conduct a safety check for free!
- Stay mentally active- Try word puzzles, spend some time reading, or maybe join a local bridge or bingo club.
- Stay socially active- The bingo club mentioned above is a great way to stay socially active- The local Elks Lodge in Green Valley hosts a fun afternoon of Bingo every Tuesday at 1 pm- we highly recommend checking it out- We’ve had a great time playing and have had the opportunity to make some awesome friends as well! You may also enjoy volunteering at the local animal shelter or the White Elephant. You may also try becoming involved in a local church of your preference.
- Try a new hobby- Grab a canvas, some paint and a brush to create your own masterpiece. Maybe try different kinds of arts and crafts… Tucson hosts a ‘paint night’ every week or so that is incredibly fun and rather inexpensive. Grab a friend or family member to enjoy a night a painting with great company.
If you’re setting a New Year’s resolution this year, be sure it’s something achievable and don’t get down on yourself if you find that it sometimes becomes a bit challenging- remind yourself how important this goal may be to you and why you’re doing it to help you stay on track. If you have any questions or would like more information about anything in this post, don’t hesitate to reach out!
Here’s to making 2019 a great year!
Southern Arizona Eldercare